Friday, May 15, 2009

ERP 1--- 1a

1a. To me, my grandfather is one of the greatest men to have ever lived. From the moment that I set foot on the face of this planet, he has always been there supporting and guiding me. He is really my role-model. All throughout my childhood and early years, my granddad never failed me or let me down. At the age of 91, I have never seen anyone quite so active, friendly, alert and kind as him. In fact, when I was 8 years old, I told my grandfather that even I knew how to use a computer and that he should learn to as well. To my surprise, he actually enrolled for a computer class, and drove almost 50 miles from his farm into the nearest city to learn computer skills. Men like him do not come along everyday, and when they do, they are not appreciated until they are gone.

However, just a year back, my grandfather was admitted into the hospital for low sodium levels. His condition worsened, causing him to spend weeks in the Intensive Care Unit. Our entire family went to visit him at the hospital during his illness. However, due to the adverse effects of hid condition, my grandfather was not able speak or move his body voluntarily. “All the time I spent with him was gone” I thought to myself. Indeed, it seems that you only appreciate something when it is first taken away from you. I hoped that I might be able to interact with my grandfather like I had done for the past 14 years. A relationship between a boy and his grandfather is priceless, and mine was about to take a turn for the worse.

After leaving hospital, life for him was never the same. He could only read or walk with difficulty. If life for him was hard, could you imagine what my life was like? My mind was always on him, constantly wondering whether he is okay. The things that he had done with me, like pick jackfruits, catch spiders and play monopoly could never be done again. This interaction with an eighty year age difference would never exist again. Even though he could still continue living his life, the effects of his illness were devastating to me. Every word he spoke was like a dagger being thrust into my chest, as he tried fastidiously to speak words that were audible and clear. Many of my family members had sacrificed their own personal lives and commitments in order to help my grandfather. As for me, every time I visited him, I would spend my time just sitting next to him and talking. Though the roles in this relationship were reversed, I felt it to be my duty to take care of him, just as he had done for me. The time I spent with my grandfather from then on was spent taking care of him, by giving him company. I believe that my relationship with my grandfather has not been dampened, but rekindled. We still spend time together, and though it was not like 10 years ago, I am happy to have him around.

Now a year on, my grandfather’s illness stomped an everlasting imprint on my life, but the lessons I learnt is priceless. He still gets by with the help of my uncles and aunts. Our relationship has not been hindered, and I still call him often. I think that though his sickness may have left him worse off, the bond and attachment between has only grown stronger as we have both realized that the time we spend together will not last forever. My grandpa’s illness has taught me that we should learn to appreciate things and people more, as they will only be missed and remembered once they have already left. As Martial said in the Epigrammata, “Life is not just being alive, but being well.” My grandfather may not be fully well, but our relationship burns on like a raging fire, never relinquishing hope. I know our relationship will not last forever, so I think that I should appreciate it and value it like it is going to end tomorrow. People do not value their relationships until it is taken away from them. I know that this event in my life has made my relationship with my grandfather stronger, and I intend to value it for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment